Thursday, May 28, 2009

United gets a dressing down!

Manchester United's dreams of a Quadruple trophy winning season went up in smoke last night in Rome. Most teams and fans would have been happy with a treble any season but not United and it's famously greedy fans. The double last season had whetted the appetite for more this season and the team did not disappoint winning 3 out of the 5 trophies they were contesting for. But the biggest one eluded them and how.
The Catalan giants played a mesmeric brand of football to unravel United in a spectacularly one-sided final. For United fans, the Barca display would have been painful yet enthralling to watch as it was for me. I have been a United fan for a long time but even I could not but marvel at the silken grace of the Barca midfield with the 2 dimunitive masters Iniesta and Xavi holding court with United being helpless spectators.
I had an inkling that this one was not going to go the way every pundit was predicting. The premiership win was too scratchy and opportune almost to give me any comfort. Liverpool were the better team in the premiership by a margin. United didn't look like they were going to swamp lesser teams unlike the 08 season. All of this came home to roost within the first 10 minutes of the final with E'to's goal. That just liberated Barca and tied United down. The rest as they say is 'history'. I however did not watch the whole thing. I could not bring myself watch as my team were outplayed by the better team on the night.
However, this should just gee up Sir Alex for one more tilt and Pep Guardiola better watch out!

No comments: